Welcome to the web-site of the Clan Irwin Surname DNA Study. This Study was launched in 2005, with the assistance of Kent Irvin, and the website was re-vamped in 2011 with the assistance of Rick Byers. Both the Study and the website remain under the aegis of the Clan Irwin Association (CIA), although CIA is not accountable for the content of this website.
This Update No.19 marks the 10th Anniversary of our Study. Highlights include:
- Growth of our Study continues, with 392 participants with yDNA STR results, although in recent months the rate at which new participants are joining the Study has slowed a little, for reasons that remain unclear.
- Following my attendance at the "Back to our Past" event in Dublin in October 2015 I have been able to refine our treatment of our native Irish genetic families. Members of our three Irish - Munster genetic families are recommended to join the Munster DNA project at https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/munster-irish/about/background if they have not already done so.
- We now have the results of 19 of the 20 BigY tests undertaken by members of our Study. Our block of 12 L555 BigY test results is the fifth largest such surname block in the large L21 haplogroup and our Study I am confident our Study is amongst the most progressive. Analyses to date has produced no surprises and are compatible with our STR work. It would seem that our sub groups have a less hierarchical structure than I expected, and that their branching possible occurred in the 13th century, a little earlier than I expected.
- I have proposed to FTDNA a provisional structure for a L555 SNP Pack and await their response.
- I am attending FTDNA's 10th Annual Conference in Houston 13-15 November and giving a lecture based on our Study. I hope this occasion will enable me to make further progress on Big Y analyses. I will post my slides as an update of Supplementary Paper 9.
- A progress report of our sister autosomal DNA project by its administrator Rev. Peter Irvine is attached as Supplementary Paper 10.
James M Irvine, Surrey, UK;
Study Administrator, 1 Nov. 2015;
Kit no. 29479; ISOGG Member.
PS FTDNA have agreed to my request for a L555 Pack. More details later this month. JMI 10 Nov.